This Sweet & Spicy Snack Mix is simple, delicious and can even be made in advance. It is so addictive that I have to hide them from my family lest they all be devoured the minute they come out of the oven. I like them extra spicy, but feel free to omit the heat if it's not your thing.
- 200g mixed nuts (I use a mix of pecans, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts & brazil nuts)
- 200g mini pretzels
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil, such as grapeseed or avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp ground rosemary
- ¼ tsp of each of the following: cayenne pepper, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder**
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Zest from an orange (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F), and line an oven-proof baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. Roast nuts in a single layer for 10 - 15 minutes, until slightly brown and fragrant.
- 3. Remove nuts from the oven, toss with all remaining ingredients (except orange zest) to coat evenly. You can mix straight on the pan but be careful it’s hot! Taste a pretzel (or two) for seasoning and adjust according to your preference!
- 4. Return mixture to the oven and bake for 10-15 additional minutes, stirring once halfway through baking time.
- 5. When nuts are finished roasting, grate zest from orange directly over the pan (if using). Toss to combine and allow to cool slightly before serving. The nuts will keep covered in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.
**Note: Feel free to omit the cayenne and chili powder if you don’t want the mixture to be spicy. It’s still delicious without the heat! Ready in 30 minutes Serves 6-8, as snack.